Bed Bug Seminars
An Old Problem in a New World: Bed Bugs 101
Bed bugs are back and they’re no joke. Bed bugs are a serious economic and quality-of-life burden. Apartment buildings, dormitories, hotels, hospitals, residences, offices, and shelters have all seen a dramatic rise in bed bug infestations. Armed with limited resources, pest management companies have their hands full, with some companies reporting bed bugs occupying the largest segment of their business. Yet none of the treatments available are without problems.
“An Old Problem in a New World” is a popular seminar developed and presented by Jonathan Boyar that professionals from all over the country have attended to educate themselves about the bed bug epidemic. The seminar covers all aspects of the problem, making attendees better informed to make important decisions with respect to hiring pest control companies, choosing methods of control, educating stakeholders, and protecting themselves. This is a soup-to-nuts examination of the epidemic. It’s presented in a compelling format that is both entertaining and informative. The program has been called the best of its kind by national audiences. The ninety minute workshop is a fact-based program and contains NO solicitations for any products or services.
- History of bed bugs and pesticides
- Anatomy of the bed bug
- Biology and ecology of bed bugs
- Injury and damage caused by bed bugs
- Symptoms of bed bugs
- How to identify and inspect for bed bugs
- Treatment options for bed bugs
- Do I have to throw my furniture away?
- Pesticides available to battle bed bugs
- Treatment failures
- Fraudulent products and services
- Common issues and problems that thwart control
- Owner’s responsibility vs. tenant’s responsibility
- HUD’s revised (amended) guidelines on bed bug control and prevention (Notice H 2012-5)
- Insecticide resistance
- Canine scent detection
- New technologies
- How to protect yourself from bringing them home
- Much more
This material is considered essential for Property Managers, Health Department Inspectors, Administrators, landlords, hotel operators, facilities personnel, and medical professionals.
The program is given by Jonathan Boyar, Associate Certified Entomologist and Pest Control Operator for nearly thirty years. The ninety minute workshop is a fact-based program and contains NO solicitations for any products or services.
Contact Ecologic Entomology for details about scheduling a training workshop for your organization. Find out why past attendees rate the program as among the most important and relevant workshop they’ve attended.
Two Currently Offered Programs:
“An Old Problem in a New World: Bed Bugs 2014″ is a continuously revised and updated 90 minute workshop for property managers, landlords, health inspectors, pest control companies, medical professionals, administrators, facilities personnel, visiting nurses, social workers, shelter personnel, and those in the hospitality industry.
“Bed Bugs Are Back: What You Need to Know” is a one-hour information seminar for tenants of multi-family housing properties. It provides tenants with “street smart” info on prevention and identification of bed bugs.
A sampling of organizations that have already hosted our seminars:
- New England Affordable Housing Management Association (NEAHMA)
- Central Massachusetts Pest Management Association
- Massachusetts Court System – Division of the Housing Court
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
- Massachusetts Department of Mental Health
- Boston Inspectional Services Department
- Peabody Properties
- Providence Center
- Amherst Health Department
- Lowell Health Department
- Boston Public Health Commission
- Wallingford Health Department (CT)
- City of Attleboro Council on Aging
- United Housing
- Beacon Communities
- Crowninshield Management
- Newburyport Health Department
- Hallkeen Management
- Visiting Nurses Association (VNA)
- Chelmsford Housing Authority
- Team Coordinating Agency
- Beverly Health Department
- Archstone Properties
- Gateway Healthcare
- Attleboro Housing Authority
- Norwalk Economic Opportunity Now (CT)
- Minuteman Senior Services
- Boston Housing Authority
- Home Start, Inc.
- A1 Exterminators
- City of Boston
- Burgess Capeway Pest Control
- New England Resident Service Coordinators, Inc.
- Brickpoint Properties
- Metro Management, Inc.
- Residex Corporation
- Spectrum Seminars
- ARS Restoration Specialists
- First Realty Management
- The Community Builders, Inc.
- The Hamilton Companies
- Home Care Association of New Hampshire (Nationwide webinar)
- Rhode Island Health Care Association
- ServiceMaster by Gilmore
- Cambridge Department of Public Health
- Bay Cove Human Services – Tenant Preservation Partnership
- Dimock Community Health Services
- Pine Street Inn
- Central Boston Elder Services, Inc.
- Massachusetts Law Reform Institute
- Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership
- Elder Service Plan of the North Shore
“I just wanted to share with you that the survey results from our annual conference have come back and Jonathan stole the show! Out of all the responses we received from our various sessions, there was not one negative remark. Great job! Some of the remarks from attendees:
“Entertaining presenter, very passionate about what he knows.”
“More than I wanted to know, but a terrific presentation! I’m still having nightmares. Very useful.”
“This was excellent and extremely informative.”
“Awesome presentation! Very informative and the materials provided will be a great resource for our management company and property managers.”
-Dee Sacchetti, Director of Administration, New England Affordable Housing Management Association (NEAHMA)
On behalf of the New England Resident Service Coordinators Inc., I’d like to thank you for your participation in our annual conference that took place in Groton, CT. The positive feedback from our attendees has been overwhelming and I want to personally thank you for helping make the conference a success. Here are some of the comments we received about your program:
- Excellent job.
- Very informative.
- Very thorough, clear, concise.
- Excellent class.
- Great info, engaging with his presentation.
- Awesome. I left with lots of information from this workshop.
- Can’t think of any improvement for Jonathan. He did a wonderful job. Lots of information–great workshop. Thanks.
- The best workshop I did this conference. Best presentation. Thank you.
- Anyone who didn’t come to this workshop is missing out big time! What a thrill! I thought I knew enough about bed bugs after numerous trainings…
- Great job. Yuck!
- Too much information!
- Terrific. Very important for all of us. Cutting-edge info. Invite him back–he’s a great educator not a salesman.
We hope you will consider taking part in next year’s conference!
Sincerely, Andrea Baranyai